Skip to content

Category: Paper Glossary

Glossary of paper terms & definitions.

Linen Weave Paper Texture

Wonderfully elegant, classic, and timeless; linen weave paper stands the test of time.


Linen Paper Studio StyleIt’s classic. It’s luxurious. Linen weave paper is perfect for event and studio photography alike.

Linen paper has a subtle embossed, crosshatch-textured finish that resembles woven linen fabric. Makers of fine stationery, invitations, report covers, and presentation folders have long used this paper stock to achieve an upscale look.

At Studio Style, we use linen weave paper to create many of our ready-made picture frames and portrait folders.

We offer most of our linen products in black or white, both neutral colors that look good with any photograph. Choose products made with this linen weave paper for a professional look. Get your linen paper photo holders blank, or add custom personalization with elegant foil stamped personalization.

Linen textured paper is a classic touch that never goes out of style!

linen weave paper blacklinen weave paper black


Leave a Comment

What is a Dual Easel Frame?

Dual easel frames have two separate easels to display both horizontal or vertical photos.

Many picture frames come with an easel attached to the back to prop up the frame for display on a flat level surface, most commonly a desk or table. The easel is what helps the frame stand up on its own.

A frame that is described as having a dual easel simply means that there are two easels attached to the back. These dual, or two easel frames are designed for propping up the framed photograph horizontally for landscape photos or vertically for portraits.

Here is an example of a dual easel frame displayed using the vertical easel:

Vertical Dual Easel
A classic (gold border) dual easel frame using the vertical easel.

Here is the same style of frame using the horizontal easel:

Horizontal Dual Easel Frame
A conventional (black border) dual easel frame using the horizontal easel.

With their two easel options, dual easels make it easy to display either picture orientation.

Leave a Comment

What is a Beveled Edge?

Cardboard photo frames and mats cut with a beveled edge add a polished look to photographs.

Last month we defined a deckle edge, describing the difference between natural and machine-cut. Today we write about the beveled edge, another specialty edge treatment that customers often ask about. Common with mirrors, cabinets, tile, and countertops, you’ll also see the phrase beveled edge to describe a characteristic of paper, most commonly mat board used with photo framing.

A bevel cut on the inside edge of a mat board photo frame.

Any edge cut at less than 90° degrees can be called a beveled edge, however in order to create a bevel cut the paper needs to be fairly thick to cut it on a slant. A thin piece of notebook paper would not be able to produce this look. Within the realm of paper products, mat board (the thick paper or cardstock frame that surrounds a photo) and corrugated cardboard are the two main types of paper that are thick enough to produce a bevel cut. Our beveled mat easel frames are a great example of a product that uses this cut.

Beveled edges are a highly desirable feature for picture frame mats, as it gives a polished and finished look to photos. Since the slanted cut edge surrounds the image, it draws your eyes towards the photo. It is this subtle detail that really accentuates framed photographs.

Simply put, paper that has a beveled edge is not cut at a 90° right angle.

Leave a Comment

What is a Deckle Edge?

A deckle edge is the name given to the irregular hand-torn appearance on the edge of a paper.

Deckle Edge Paper Detail
Closeup of the deckle edge detail on the corner of white and black portrait folders.

The name “deckle” comes from a tool called a deckle, which is a wooden frame used in the process of papermaking. With handmade paper, as the wet pulp dries it seeps between the deckle and the mould. During this process there is some run-off which gradually thins at the edges resulting in irregular edging, or a deckle edge.

It is important to note that deckle edges are not perfectly straight like most papers we are accustomed to. Some would describe them as being rough, ragged, raw, frayed, or uneven in nature. Depending on if the effect is a natural result of papermaking—or if it is artificially produced with a machine—there can be some variation in the degree of unevenness.

With handmade art paper, the deckled edges tend to be a soft, feathery edge that gradually becomes thinner at the end. Since it is softer and thinner, it is also more delicate. This is common with books, scrapbooking, and watercolor papers.

Many wedding invitations, stationery, greeting cards, cardstock, and higher end paper products also have a deckled edge. These often have what is called a faux deckle edge, where a machine cuts the edge of the paper to create a ragged (somewhat rippled) decorative edging for ornamental effect. Since these edges are cut rather than created naturally, they tend to be stronger.

Several of our products feature a deckle edge including our popular Portrait Folders. Since the edges of our folders are machine cut with a special deckle die, they are quite sturdy and suitable for commercial use for portrait, school, and wedding photographers. Deckle edge folders also work well for upscale event photography, for photo giveaways at galas, fundraisers, cruises, restaurants or any event that wishes to have a unique formal look for their folders.

1 Comment